xiaojun
New Contributor

How to request to install ANSYS on a student desktop

One of my students want to have ANsys to be installed on his desktop for research (as shown in following email). Whst should I do next?

Thanks

Xiaojun

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 23 July 2015 at 04:23
Subject: Re: Report before meeting
To: X****** Q** <x******.q**@rmit.edu.au>
Cc: E** C**** <*********@rmit.edu.au>

Thanks for the feedback Xiaojun.

Regarding access to ANSYS this is what ITS have told me (after several emails with them):

"Normally there are labs the classes are in and the lecturers request ansys to be installed within them for the students to use, if the software is required to be available on myDesktop then the lecturer will need to contact us requesting this.

This maybe what you are after, http://www.ansys.com/Industries/Academic/Tools/Student+Portal

Students will need to register and create their own account. To do so you will need the RMIT account number - which is 608777. then you will need to choose a professor to associate your account with from one of the professors listed. If your professor is not in the list you will need to ask your professor to create/update their account within the student portal.
"

I tried to access the software through the URL that I was given, but you were not listed as a Professor.  If we were to access the software this way then you would need to update your account within that portal. 

THIS solution may be easier for you though:

"Have your lecturer fill out the following form to request the software, https://mytechsupport.rmit.edu.au/

myDesktop software requests need to go through to approval so your lecturer
"

Their web forms are not very easy to navigate.  It may be best just to call them directly to request the software to be made available via myDesktop:  IT Service Desk on +61 3 9925 8888

Eva may also be able to provide you some insight into this process?

Regards,

Mark

Accepted Solutions
YasmineK
Community Manager

Re: How to request to install ANSYS on a student desktop

Hi xiaojun, 

Welcome to myTechCommunity!! Thanks for posting!! 

For mydesktop software requests, you will need to fill in GetIT special request form, the form can be found on this link: 

GetIT special request form

Ensure when filling the form to have completed the following:

"Requirements- action required" section of the form to select "request software only" Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.35.11 pm.png

"What software is being requested?" - Type in ANSYS 

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.38.00 pm.png

"Software verison number" - Type 14.5 

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.39.10 pm.png

"Who is this request for?" - tick myDesktop

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.40.11 pm.png

I hope you find this helpful, please let us know if you require further assistance. 

Thank you for your contribution on our community. 

Happy Posting!!

YasmineK

Happy Posting!!!

YasmineK,
ITS

View solution in original post

Trent
Occasional Contributor

Hi xiaojun,

Before you get to far with this request, at this point in time Ansys is not available via myDesktop. This is due to restrictions with the licence.

We are working with Ansys and the myDesktop team to try and come up with a solution that will allow us to be able to provide Ansys this way, but at the moment I do not have an eta on when it will be available. We are hoping to have a solution by semester 1 2016.

At the moment your best bet is to access what is available through the Ansys Student Portal.

Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS

Trent
Occasional Contributor

Hi Xiaojun,

The account number is the same as what was stated in your original 608777.

Please let us know if there is any issues with this.

Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS

All Replies
YasmineK
Community Manager

Hi xiaojun, 

Welcome to myTechCommunity!! Thanks for posting!! 

For mydesktop software requests, you will need to fill in GetIT special request form, the form can be found on this link: 

GetIT special request form

Ensure when filling the form to have completed the following:

"Requirements- action required" section of the form to select "request software only" Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.35.11 pm.png

"What software is being requested?" - Type in ANSYS 

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.38.00 pm.png

"Software verison number" - Type 14.5 

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.39.10 pm.png

"Who is this request for?" - tick myDesktop

Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 5.40.11 pm.png

I hope you find this helpful, please let us know if you require further assistance. 

Thank you for your contribution on our community. 

Happy Posting!!

YasmineK

Happy Posting!!!

YasmineK,
ITS
Trent
Occasional Contributor

Hi xiaojun,

Before you get to far with this request, at this point in time Ansys is not available via myDesktop. This is due to restrictions with the licence.

We are working with Ansys and the myDesktop team to try and come up with a solution that will allow us to be able to provide Ansys this way, but at the moment I do not have an eta on when it will be available. We are hoping to have a solution by semester 1 2016.

At the moment your best bet is to access what is available through the Ansys Student Portal.

Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS
YasmineK
Community Manager

Hi xiaojun, 

As per Trent post, Ansys is currently not available via myDesktop. As the student advised they were not able to locate you, as you were not listed as a professor. What you will need to do is create your account within the student portal.

Below is the link for the registration form found on the Ansys student portal. 

https://support.ansys.com/portal/site/AnsysCustomerPortal/template.REGISTER/

Please let us know if you require further assistance. 

Happy Posting!!

YasmineK

Happy Posting!!!

YasmineK,
ITS
xiaojun
New Contributor

Dear Trent,

Thank you. This is really helpful. I will ask the students to access what is available through the Ansys Student Portal.

Cheers

Xiaojun

xiaojun
New Contributor

Dear Yasminek,

Thank you for the help. The problem for me when I created my account is that I need a: Account Number (Customer Number).

Do we have that?

Cheers

Xiaojun

Trent
Occasional Contributor

Hi Xiaojun,

The account number is the same as what was stated in your original 608777.

Please let us know if there is any issues with this.

Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS
xiaojun
New Contributor

Dear Trent,

Thank you very much for the help. I have successfully registrated with Ansys and created my account within the student portal as a professor with the account number you provided.

Cheers

Xiaojun