Srii_Kasienag
Occasional Contributor

Software pool of RMIT

Hi

this is to IT support.  

Some software like Origin is preferred for some of our data analysis.  But its not part of RMIT Software pool but is available on licence basis with cost to individual who ever wants it.  Why cant it be made available from RMIT as common software?

Regards

Accepted Solutions
Trent
Occasional Contributor

Re: Software pool of RMIT

Hi Srii_Kasienag

You're completely correct, as I'm not a user of the software I'm not going to be the best regarding differences between apps as I just do not have that user knowledge. But I can tell you what I find from research, what is available within RMIT and how you can obtain it.

Just had a look at one of the open source options that I listed above, QtiPlot, and there is apparently a means of importing files and projects from Origin. If your unable to afford a student licence for Origin then this may be an option.

Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS

View solution in original post

Tags (2)

All Replies
Trent
Occasional Contributor

Hi Srii_Kasienag,

Unfortuantly not all of our software can be listed as a common pool. 

The example you've provided, Origin, is predomitly licensed as single licences per machine. This is mainly due to the cost of licensing it as a floating licence (amlost twice the cost), the limited number of options available (3 or 5 seat floating) and the fact that there is not a large user base (7 requests in the last 12 months).

There is supposed to be some changes happening with the Origin licensing coming, and we'll be looking into these when we are able.

Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS
Srii_Kasienag
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

by the way, can you suggest an alternative to this software which has similar featureas and user friendly?  

Regards

Trent
Occasional Contributor

Not being a user of the app, I can't really comment on the user freindlyness of anything, but the only apps that I can suggest that may be "similar" and are not going to require the purchase of a licence to use on RMIT computers are either GraphPad Prism or Statistica.

There is a couple of open source options out there if you're looking for somthing to use on your personal computer, QtiPlot or SciDAVis

Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS
billdavey
New Contributor

Can you say what is in origin  that is not in the common graphical programs like Matlab?

Bill

billdavey
New Contributor

just had a look and we seem to have MAPLE18 for free. Have a look at the academic pack at

http://www.maplesoft.com/products/maple/academic/

Bill

Trent
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bill,
Yes we do. Unfortunately to get this home use licence is not as straight forward as some others though, and it is only available to staff. For student licensing there is a cost.

For a staff member to request a licence, please email our suppliers Tech Support Team at Support@ases.co with your full details (name, email, department) and they will issue the download details you.

If there is any students that would like to find out about the costs involved for a Maple licence, please get in touch with the ITS Software team via software@rmit.edu.au.
Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS
Tags (2)
Srii_Kasienag
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the mail.  

Look. the matter is simple.  Unless anyone know two or more software he cannot compare and tell and Pros and Cons.

unfortunately i do not know how to use even basics of MATLAB.  Since the start of my course i was introduced to Origin by Supervisor, and thats it we are using.  But on our own Laptops and dont know much, but its working on stand alone App, without any installation.  So, we are managing but obviously have lot of limitations, due to old version and stand alone etc.

i was asked to check with IT if that can be licenced by RMIT for common use like few others.  

Regards

Trent
Occasional Contributor

Hi Srii_Kasienag

You're completely correct, as I'm not a user of the software I'm not going to be the best regarding differences between apps as I just do not have that user knowledge. But I can tell you what I find from research, what is available within RMIT and how you can obtain it.

Just had a look at one of the open source options that I listed above, QtiPlot, and there is apparently a means of importing files and projects from Origin. If your unable to afford a student licence for Origin then this may be an option.

Cheers,
Trent
The Software Guy | ITS
Tags (2)
Srii_Kasienag
Occasional Contributor

hi

i can understand your views.

even i have see the suggest softy and its features to import Origin files.

as long as the approver accepts i dont m ind working with any softy.

but i am not sure and dont want to risk time loss, if try with new one. 

ok. will see. so far no problem.

Regards

Srii