Hadoken2017
New Contributor

Super slow DL speed from RMIT

Hi,

I've been trying to download two files from blackboard for CPT110. Problem is, the DL speed is very slow. Sometimes as low as 10KB/s and never above 100KB/s.

Using Windows 10.

Have taken a few troubleshooting steps:

- switch laptop off and on

- try alternate browser (Firefox and Edge)

- speedtest.net shows DL speed ~20 Mb/s

Not sure what to try next...

Thanks.

Andrew

Accepted Solutions
Hadoken2017
New Contributor

Re: Super slow DL speed from RMIT

Hi,

I raised a ticket with RMIT tech help. Turns out this was a combo of first week high-demand and also server problems with Blackboard.

All sorted now.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

All Replies
michael_w
Frequent Contributor

Hi @Hadoken2017 - welcome!

Just to confirm, your speed issue is only specifically when downloading these two files from Blackboard?

Could you please let me know whether this is on campus - and if so, which building?

Michael, Community Manager
RMIT, Information Technology Services
Hadoken2017
New Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep it's just those two files. I haven't tried any others from RMIT. I'm off campus, on my home network. I posted in the message board for the unit CPT110, there are a few others having the same problem. All other devices on my home network, and all other downloads on this same laptop, are happening at regular speed. So think it's server side. I've reset my modem, network settings, etc, just to be sure. Also checked my firewall but couldn't see anthing there.

Message board: https://lms.rmit.edu.au/webapps/discussionboard/do/message?action=list_messages&forum_id=_539426_1&n...

Thanks.

Andrew

michael_w
Frequent Contributor

Ok thank you - that is helpful info, it seems that you've gone some way in isolating the issue!

I'll pass this on to the IT group responsible for Blackboard and see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

Michael, Community Manager
RMIT, Information Technology Services
Tags (1)
Hadoken2017
New Contributor

Thanks, Michael.

Also....."Show me what you got."

Bahahahah.

Look forward to (hopefully Smiley Happy) a resolution.

Hadoken2017
New Contributor

Hi,

I raised a ticket with RMIT tech help. Turns out this was a combo of first week high-demand and also server problems with Blackboard.

All sorted now.

Thanks.

View solution in original post