abdulaziz
Occasional Visitor

i want to format my own laptop

Hello 

i have my own laptop and its need to be formated is the IT can help me with that . i can format it by myself but i really need windows CD to do that dosent mattar if it 7 or 8 ? 

thank you 

Accepted Solutions
JackDouma
New Contributor

Re: i want to format my own laptop

Hi Abdul,

If you want to format your laptop's harddrive on Windows 7, you can follow this step by step guide at this URL: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ss/format-hard-drive-windows-7-tutorial.htm#step1

Most of the steps (if not all) are the same for Windows 8/8.1.

Hope this helps.

Jack

View solution in original post

Ahutch0

Hi abdulaziz!

Thanks for posting!

As it is a personal device, any formatting/re-imaging will not be supported by RMIT ITS.
That being said, we can offer some advice.

The guide JackDouma posted above is a good start.

If your hard drive has been separated into different partitions (a C: and a D: for example) the Disk Management tool will let
you format the partition from within Windows.
However, as the guide states on page 3, you cannot format/wipe the partition that has Windows installed on it with this tool. This
would mean that, using the example above, the D: would be fine to wipe clean but C: could not be.

If you want to wipe the entire laptop and start from scratch, you'd need a Windows CD/DVD/image to reinstall the operating system.
You'd likely also need to locate and re-install the drivers for your various pieces of hardware (video card, webcam, etc) once the format had been performed.

Regards,
Adam

All Replies
JackDouma
New Contributor

Hi Abdul,

If you want to format your laptop's harddrive on Windows 7, you can follow this step by step guide at this URL: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ss/format-hard-drive-windows-7-tutorial.htm#step1

Most of the steps (if not all) are the same for Windows 8/8.1.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Ahutch0

Hi abdulaziz!

Thanks for posting!

As it is a personal device, any formatting/re-imaging will not be supported by RMIT ITS.
That being said, we can offer some advice.

The guide JackDouma posted above is a good start.

If your hard drive has been separated into different partitions (a C: and a D: for example) the Disk Management tool will let
you format the partition from within Windows.
However, as the guide states on page 3, you cannot format/wipe the partition that has Windows installed on it with this tool. This
would mean that, using the example above, the D: would be fine to wipe clean but C: could not be.

If you want to wipe the entire laptop and start from scratch, you'd need a Windows CD/DVD/image to reinstall the operating system.
You'd likely also need to locate and re-install the drivers for your various pieces of hardware (video card, webcam, etc) once the format had been performed.

Regards,
Adam

Shoaib
Occasional Contributor

If you don't /  cannot install from the system partitions, there are 2 options.

1st Option is DreamSpark

For students studying in an IT course that has been approved by their school's DreamSpark co-coordinator are eligible for access to DreamSpark.

2nd Option

Assuming most OS software is pre-installed AKA OEM.

If you have an OEM version of Windows (Pre-installed Operating System), you will need to contact your computer manufacturer and request a set of recovery disks. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-order-replacement-...

Shoaib Cat Wink >>If you find a reply that answers your question, click the button. Cat Wink