Helscott
Occasional Contributor

Moving Dropbox folder

Hi Smart Gurus,

As I have discovered that my Dropbox folder (which resides on my C drive) is useless to me when I log in to other computers at RMIT, I thought it would be a simple exercise to move it to my H drive. However, every time I try to 'cut and paste' the folder, it tells me the action can't be done because a file or folder is open, and I need to close it. I have even gone through my home devices to make sure no file is open, but its not listening. Is there any sneaky away around this folks? Surely it should only be concerned about a file open on the current computer if I'm moving the folder? Is there a restriction in moving to the H driver perhaps?

I'd love your thoughts!

H

Accepted Solutions
Helscott
Occasional Contributor

Re: Moving Dropbox folder

Hi Adam,

Thanks for directing me to the link - it was really useful to be taken through the "formal" process of moving a dropbox folder.. Unfortunately it seems that because the H drive is a "network" drive, it can't be done. I tried the process as outlined and "computer says no" basically :-)

I think what I will have to do is download the Dropbox App to the C drive of the two computers I mainly work on at RMIT, and see if that fixes it - not my first choice to have dropbox folders all over the shop!!

Cheers

Helen

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ahutch0

Hi @Helscott

If you first create a new folder in the desired location on your H:, are you then able to configure Dropbox to point at it via the steps in the guide below?
https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/89

If so, you could potentially copy and paste your existing folder contents across?

Do let us know how you go with it!

Regards,
Adam

Tags (1)
Helscott
Occasional Contributor

Hi Adam,

Thanks for directing me to the link - it was really useful to be taken through the "formal" process of moving a dropbox folder.. Unfortunately it seems that because the H drive is a "network" drive, it can't be done. I tried the process as outlined and "computer says no" basically :-)

I think what I will have to do is download the Dropbox App to the C drive of the two computers I mainly work on at RMIT, and see if that fixes it - not my first choice to have dropbox folders all over the shop!!

Cheers

Helen