Mak
Frequent Visitor

RPL Supporting documents

Hi, 

I'd like to apply for RPL, based on industry experience, for a few courses in MC235 program. 

Apart from filling out the form, what other type of supporting documents (like resume, project portfolio, demonstrations etc) do I need to attach to better help the assessing team in establishing relevancy, equivalence etc? 

I am looking at technical courses like Industrial Automation, Electrical Energy Conversion, Project Preparation Planning, etc...

Thank you

jbh
RMIT Connect
RMIT Connect

Re: RPL Supporting documents

Having gotten RPL for the Master of Engineering (Mechanical) myself, and worked in student admin for years, the best advice I can give is to work backwards. Don't start thinking about the resume or letter from a previous employer - instead, look at the courses that you think you already have covered in your work history. Open the course guide for each one (http://www1.rmit.edu.au/courses/038322 for Electrical Energy Conversion, for example) and scroll straight down to the section Objectives/Learning Outcomes.  The really relevant section is the one that says:

Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:

• Describe and explain the principles of various electrical energy conversion systems used in industrial and domestic applications
• Design a diode rectifier, a thyristor converter and a dc-dc switch mode converter
• Identify and reduce the impact of power electronic systems on the power system and load
• Calculate the power and other characteristic quantities in a power conversion system

(I don't know any of that - just that flux capacitators all require 1.21 gigawatts of power).

Then, think about the best way to show that you've attained these skills - a letter counter-signed by an employer would probably be best, because it will allow you to reference each capability.

Finally, it's probably best to speak to the School directly - see  http://www.rmit.edu.au/about/our-education/academic-schools/engineering/contact/electrical-and-compu.... They'll be able to put you in touch with the person who assesses RPL for that particular program and they will be able to best advise.

RMIT Comms guru, professionally lurking on myCommunity, googling cat gifs, and occasionally even answering questions and being helpful.

RMIT Connect monitors these forums at 10am and 2pm every day, but please call for urgent matters.