Highlighted
SU
Occasional Visitor

Student card swipe access for study spaces and library

So I was looking for a study space in the library today as usual and luckily got one. After some time, one student came and occupied the space next to me which was empty. She then went on to reserve three other empty spaces for her friends. Some time later, I noticed that she was an University of Melbourne student who had indeed taken up space in the RMIT library. This, as many can attest, is not a rare occurance and results in RMIT students not finding study spaces as a lot of the spaces are taken up by students from other universities. How can this matter be reported so that action can be taken to allow RMIT students can get the most out of what they're paying for?

Key Business Partner

Re: Student card swipe access for study spaces and library

Thanks for your suggestion that the Library introduces swipe card access for its study spaces.

Staff monitor the use of Library spaces throughout the year and we know that the lead-up to exams is a particularly busy time in the Library. We are working with Property Services to  increase the number of study spaces and computers in the Library, for example through the refurbishment of the Carlton Library which will start at the end of 2019.

While we can limit the use of Library computers, printers/copiers and group study rooms to RMIT students through the use of an RMIT login, the general Library spaces need to be open to everyone. The Library provides access to a range of non-RMIT users including RMIT Alumni, researchers, community borrowers, and students from other universities who are enrolled in reciprocal borrowing schemes (which also give RMIT students borrowing rights to other university libraries).

If you have difficulty finding study spaces in the Library at busy times, there is a web page that can help you identify other study spaces on campus - https://www.rmit.edu.au/students/support-and-facilities/campus-facilities/study-spaces

RMIT Smart Stuff representative from University Library & Student Success
Tags (2)