Helscott
Occasional Contributor

"Named folder"

Hi All,

I'm a casual staffer, and a student, which means I have multiple "desks" across campus. My understanding was that when I logged in to a computer, my profile carried with it. I have an automatically generated folder called "First name Surname", in which I have placed a Dropbox folder. However, it seems this named folder "First name Surname" does not carry through to all computers. It sits within the "Desktop" folder - does this just stay in the C-drive on one computer?

thanks

Helen

Accepted Solutions
jbh
RMIT Connect
RMIT Connect

Re: "Named folder"

In my experience, if it's saved on the drive with your e-number in the name (on my machine it's the H-Drive) it follows you, and if it's saved to the c: drive, then I'm afraid it's only locally available. I imagine that this would be the same for the Desktop, as there's no Desktop personalisation settings seemingly saved in the h: drive.

We use Google Drive in the office anyway to get around that issue.

RMIT Comms guru, professionally lurking on myCommunity, googling cat gifs, and occasionally even answering questions and being helpful.

RMIT Connect monitors these forums at 10am and 2pm every day, but please call for urgent matters.

View solution in original post

All Replies
jbh
RMIT Connect
RMIT Connect

Re: "Named folder"

In my experience, if it's saved on the drive with your e-number in the name (on my machine it's the H-Drive) it follows you, and if it's saved to the c: drive, then I'm afraid it's only locally available. I imagine that this would be the same for the Desktop, as there's no Desktop personalisation settings seemingly saved in the h: drive.

We use Google Drive in the office anyway to get around that issue.

RMIT Comms guru, professionally lurking on myCommunity, googling cat gifs, and occasionally even answering questions and being helpful.

RMIT Connect monitors these forums at 10am and 2pm every day, but please call for urgent matters.