Highlighted
New Contributor

Google account expiry?

Hello,

I'm hoping to complete my degree this year, and I was wondering, at what point does my student Google account expire? does it expire?

Thanks,

David.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Google account expiry?

Hi @aussieinphuket

Your student account, inclusive of your student email account can be de-activated any time between when your course is marked as completed and the next census date. 

Information on Census Dates can be found at the following link: 

http://www1.rmit.edu.au/students/hecensusdates

I hope this helps 

Happy Posting!!!

YasmineK,
ITS
Highlighted
RMIT Connect
RMIT Connect

Hi Yasmine, when you say "course is completed" - do you mean receiving the final result, or do you mean attending a graduation ceremony?

RMIT Comms guru, professionally lurking on myCommunity, googling cat gifs, and occasionally even answering questions and being helpful.

RMIT Connect monitors these forums at 10am and 2pm every day, but please call for urgent matters.

Highlighted
New Contributor

excellent question jbh, thanks for asking.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello YasmineK,

Thanks for responding, and I do appreciate your answer, but what I'm really asking is: at one point does RMIT cancel my Google RMIT account? If it were up to me I'd keep it open permanently! lol

Thanks, and Happy New Year,

David.

Highlighted
Community Manager

@jbh When student results are released, this is when the school marks the program as being completed. 

@aussieinphuket  Your RMIT google account will become de-activated (canceled) by the next census date after you have completed your program, assuming you don't enrol in further studies.

So for example if you are completing your course at the end of this year (2017) the account will be de-activated (canceled) by the 31st March 2018. 

In saying this we recommend that you do not use your RMIT student email account as your default email account after your studies.
You can transfer your student emails to a personal account so you still have access to this content when the student email account becomes de-activated (canceled).

Information on how to transfer emails from one gmail account to another can be found at tthe following post: 

https://community.its.rmit.edu.au/t5/Google-Gmail/RMIT-Email-Backup/m-p/983/highlight/true#M75 

More information can be found here

Happy Posting!!!

YasmineK,
ITS
Highlighted
New Visitor

Thank you YasmineK,

I would also like to transfer all of my GoogleDoc files to my personal Gmail account.  

Unfortuantely RMIT has disabled Google's feature to download your entire account data.  And although I am able to share the documents with my personal Gmail account,  "Ownership can only be transferred to another user in the same domain as the current owner.".

Any advice on how to transfer my documents?

Cheers,

MikevC

Highlighted
New Contributor

Mike, do you have Google Drive installed on your computer? If you do then all of your files will be on your computer. Cut and Paste all the files/folders into a new temporary folder somewhere else on your computer. Log out of your student account in the Google Drive app and then log into your personal Google account in the Google Drive App. Cut and Paste your files into the new Google Drive folder. I know this seems clumsy and long winded, but I've experiment with this myself, it seems to be the only practical option. 

When my student Google account is cancelled I'm not worried about transferring the files, because they will still be on my computer, and I can sort out online backup later.

Highlighted
New Visitor

Hi YasmineK,

If I volutarily cancel my enrolment, does that cause my account to also become de-activated within the same time frame (i.e. by the next census date after withdrawing)?