Jogvan
Occasional Visitor

Multiple users of a Google Sheet - but not simultaneously!

I have created a Google Sheet that is meant to be a look-up resource where colleagues can look up information about RMIT exchange partners. However, I would ideally like multiple users to be able to use the Sheet simultaneously. The sheet uses quite a few lookups to filter the information. In short, the Sheet allows colleagues to search for a particular exhchange partner or country and see background for that partner/country.

At present, the doc can really only be used by one person at a time, as anyone updating it will override what anyone else is looking at (i.e. if you are looking at China and someone else want to look at France...you will be fighting each other).

In this instance, I really am trying to disable the collaborative function.

I have found solutions online that include adding [&newcopy=true] to the url, as well as change [edit] to [copy] in the URL. Both are meant to force the user to make a new copy. Both these solutions seem to no longer work. Also, it is not ideal for staff to have to continuously download new copies.

Anyone have a good idea how to fix this? 

Tags (1)
Ahutch0

Re: Multiple users of a Google Sheet - but not simultaneously!

Hi @Jogvan

Thanks for posting!

If I correctly understand what you're asking, I'm not sure Google Sheets will support that functionality.
There is a somewhat older post on the Google forums referring to the functionality it seems you're inquiring about:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/docs/how-do-i/tilFXaqv_00

You can try using the List > View option suggested in the post and seeing if that will provide the solution you're after.

Kind regards,
Adam

Ahutch0

Re: Multiple users of a Google Sheet - but not simultaneously!

Hi @Jogvan

After a little more searching, the Google forums seem to have a far more recent thread involving Filter Views which may be what you're looking for:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/docs/LO6pwZ0H0w4

Hope those links help!

Kind regards,
Adam