Highlighted
New Contributor

RMIT Email Backup

How can I backup my RMIT email to another gmail account?

Tech Guru, IT Staff

Re: RMIT Email Backup

Hi Kylie,

1. In the source RMIT Gmail account:
    a) Click the cog wheel (Settings) in the top right corner > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP
    b) Under POP Download select:
        i.  Enable POP for all mail
        ii. When messages are accessed with POP keep RMIT University Mail's copy in the Inbox
    c) Click Save Changes
    d) Go to My Account (make sure you are still logged in as the source account) > Sign-in & security
    e) Switch Allow less secure apps ON

2. In the destination Gmail account (can be an RMIT or non-RMIT account):
    a) Click the cog wheel (Settings) in the top right corner > SettingsAccount
    b) Under Check email from other accounts (using POP3) click Add a POP3 mail account that you own
    c) Enter the source email address and click Next Step
    d) Enter:
        Username: the full source email address (including the @student.rmit.edu.au or @rmit.edu.au suffix)
        Password: password for the source account
        POP Server (select Other then type): pop.gmail.com Port: 995
        Untick Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server (copies of messages will still be kept in source's account due to source account's settings)
        Tick Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail
        Tick Label incoming messages and use the suggested label or change it to something else if you wish
        Tick or untick Archive incoming messages (Skip the inbox) to your preference.
    e) Click Add Account

Allow some time for the emails to be copied. It may take hours if the source account is large.

Tech Guru, IT Staff

Updated instructions for current version of GMail:

1. In the source RMIT Gmail account:
    a) Click the cog wheel (Settings) in the top right corner > Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP
    b) Under POP Download select:
        i.  Enable POP for all mail
        ii. When messages are accessed with POP keep RMIT University Mail's copy in the Inbox
    c) Click Save Changes
    d) Go to My Account (make sure you are still logged in as the source account) > Sign-in & security
    e) Switch Allow less secure apps ON (at the bottom of the page, not visible or necessary to set if account has 2-Step Verification enabled.
  2. In the destination Gmail account (can be an RMIT or non-RMIT account):
    a) Click the cog wheel (Settings) in the top right corner > SettingsAccounts and Import
    b) Under Check email from other accounts click Add an email account
    c) Enter the source email address and click Next
    d) Select Import emails from my other account (POP3) and click Next.
    e) Enter:
        Username: the full source email address (including the @student.rmit.edu.au or @rmit.edu.au suffix)
        Password: password for the source account
        POP Server: pop.gmail.com Port: 995
        Untick Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server (copies of messages will still be kept in source's account due to source account's settings)
        Tick Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail
        Tick Label incoming messages and use the suggested label or change it to something else if you wish
        Tick or untick Archive incoming messages (Skip the inbox) to your preference.
    e) Click Add Account

Allow some time for the emails to be copied. It may take hours if the source account is large.

Tags (2)
New Visitor

How can I back up my email ? S3393186@rmit.edu.vn

I try follow with the instruction but it is still not working! Could you please help me?

Contributor

You can try turning ON less secure apps via https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps

Also check that you have included your complete email address in the Username field

HH
New Contributor

Hi,

I am trying the steps specified above. I have finished all steps but found no changes to the destination email account. So, I wonder how can I tell whether the archiving is started and where can I find the copied emails? FYI, I ticked Archive incoming messages (Skip the inbox).

Thanks and regards,

Rachel

Contributor

Hi Rachel,

No worries, try locating these in your “All mail” label. If there are no emails exisiting, carrying out a search using “to:<your student email address>“ to see if there is any emails found and what labels have been applied.

Let me know how you go!

Thanks,
Fiona

HH
New Contributor

Hi Fiona,

Thank you so much. It works for me! BTW, once my RMIT email stops working, the archived emails won't be affected in my private email, right?

Thank you,

Rachel

Contributor

Hi Rachel,

Glad to hear!

Yes that is right, existing emails in your personal email address will not be affected once your RMIT student account is no longer active.

Kind regards,
Fiona

HH
New Contributor

Got it. ThanksSmiley Tongue