LeighBlackall
Occasional Contributor

Why don't my G Page Events show in the invited G Community's Events?

We have a G+ Page here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/108448425154207045768/posts

Note the Events, there should be 4 showing. As a manager, I can see all 4. Each of them invited the G+ Community "Digital Learning @ DSC". When I'm signed in as the Page manager viewing the Community, I can see all 4 events. When not, I only see one. Why?

They were all set up with the same settings, only difference being that I duplicated the 2nd-4th event from the 1st, and changed the dates.  

Accepted Solutions
QuanN
Tech Guru, IT Staff

Re: Why don't my G Page Events show in the invited G Community's Events?

Thanks for the video. I have tried to replicate this issue. I believe the "Hide guest list" event option causes this. I found that when the option is selected community members won't see the event in the community's Events page, but can still see it in their own Events page at:

https://plus.google.com/events

I don't know if this makes sense but I think when you choose to hide the guest list you're telling Google+ that you do not want individual invitees to know who else have been invited (like the Bcc email field). If the event were displayed on the Community's Events page the members would be able to work out that the entire community have been invited and this conflicts with the original intention of hiding the guest list. The Posts page still displays the event because it doesn't give any guest list information away.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

View solution in original post

Kimflowers
Contributor

I actually managed to replicate the issue without touching the "Hide Invite List" option.

I think it is directly related to the duplication of events. When I individually created the event and invited the community, it worked. When I duplicated the said event (and incited the community), it didn't show up (as demonstrated in Leigh's video).

I've run it past the TC's in the Google+ help forum and I'm waiting back to hear what they think is happening. But I definitely didn't touch the Hide Invite List when duplicating the events.

QuanN
Tech Guru, IT Staff

Kim, "Up coming events" seems to display 2 events max. If you switch to the Community's Events page by clicking Events under All Posts in the Community menu I think you'll see your duplicate events with the visible guest list.

I copied Leigh and made a video. I was mumbling a bit in it, sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifSKeg0dJ8o

All Replies
QuanN
Tech Guru, IT Staff

I can see 3 on the Posts page as a non-member, the GLbDx Sem2 startup workshop OPTION 1,2 and 4. Are these the ones you're referring to? Would you be able to provide the screenshot of the community's Events pages when logged in as community manager and also when logged in as member?

LeighBlackall
Occasional Contributor

Hi QuanN, thanks for taking a look. Here's a screenrecording of the problem:

http://youtu.be/0smzgW1N9qo

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
QuanN
Tech Guru, IT Staff

Thanks for the video. I have tried to replicate this issue. I believe the "Hide guest list" event option causes this. I found that when the option is selected community members won't see the event in the community's Events page, but can still see it in their own Events page at:

https://plus.google.com/events

I don't know if this makes sense but I think when you choose to hide the guest list you're telling Google+ that you do not want individual invitees to know who else have been invited (like the Bcc email field). If the event were displayed on the Community's Events page the members would be able to work out that the entire community have been invited and this conflicts with the original intention of hiding the guest list. The Posts page still displays the event because it doesn't give any guest list information away.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

LeighBlackall
Occasional Contributor

I reckon you're right. I'll be able to test this out in coming weeks. If anyone else has the opportunity to test this, please confirm. Thanks QuanN Smiley Happy 

Kimflowers
Contributor

I actually managed to replicate the issue without touching the "Hide Invite List" option.

I think it is directly related to the duplication of events. When I individually created the event and invited the community, it worked. When I duplicated the said event (and incited the community), it didn't show up (as demonstrated in Leigh's video).

I've run it past the TC's in the Google+ help forum and I'm waiting back to hear what they think is happening. But I definitely didn't touch the Hide Invite List when duplicating the events.

LeighBlackall
Occasional Contributor

Good stuff Kim! I really appreciate your time investigating this. Looks like we're getting closer to knowing what, and hopefully soon after why, and then maybe a fix.
QuanN
Tech Guru, IT Staff

Kim, "Up coming events" seems to display 2 events max. If you switch to the Community's Events page by clicking Events under All Posts in the Community menu I think you'll see your duplicate events with the visible guest list.

I copied Leigh and made a video. I was mumbling a bit in it, sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifSKeg0dJ8o

LeighBlackall
Occasional Contributor

Communicating through screenrecordings is very valuable. Thanks Quan. Not only do I clearly see your reasoning, I pick up other little tips along the way, such as your method of testing, and using Chrome Profiles to switch between accounts. You seem to have confirmed here that it is the Hidden Guest list check that causes the invisability of the event in the Community Events list. Interesting to note that in my experience, even though my other account is a Manager of the Page and Community, that account also could not see the hidden guest events. Only the Owner and creater of the event can see them.

Many thanks for staying with it. 

Kim, looking forward to what you discover from the Google guys. Feel free to share them my video, and I'm assuming Quan won't mind his video going out as well. Come to think of it, these Lithium threads are publicly accessible anyway.