New Contributor

All Melbourne staff and students, and Vietnam staff and students are listed in the Directory.

You can find someone by searching by email address, using the Contacts App, using the auto-complete function, or using the contact picker.

Using the email address

The following examples explain how you can distinguish between the email addresses for these groups:

Melbourne Staff - these emails will start with firstname.lastname and end with '@rmit.edu.au'
For example: "Fred Smith" <fred.smith@rmit.edu.au>

Melbourne Students - these emails will start with an 's' and end with '@student.rmit.edu.au'
For example: "Fred Smith" <s1234567@student.rmit.edu.au>

Vietnam Staff - these emails will start with firstname.lastname and end with '@rmit.edu.vn'
For example: "Yen Nguyen" <yen.nguyen@rmit.edu.vn>

Vietnam Students - these emails will start with an 's' or 'l' and end with '@rmit.edu.vn'
For example: "Yen Nguyen" <s1234567@rmit.edu.vn> OR "Yen Nguyen" <l1234567@rmit.edu.vn>

Using the Contacts App

To view and manage your contacts, open Contacts. Click Contacts in the black navigation bar at the top of any Google Apps page:

Here, you can browse or search for contacts by typing a name or email address into the search bar.

My Contacts
When Contacts first opens, it shows your personal contacts, which are listed in the My Contacts group. To see details about a contact, just click the contact.

Default contact groups
My Contacts is just one of several default groups in your Contact Manager. Here are some descriptions of some groups you might see:

My Contacts: Contacts that you've imported yourself, created in Contact Manager, or added from another group.
Most Contacted: The 20 addresses you use most frequently. Gmail automatically updates this list for you.
Other Contacts: Contacts that haven’t been added to My Contacts or any other contact group.
Directory: A global address list of all RMIT students and staff - including Australia and Vietnam.

In the Contact Directory, Vietnamese staff names will display in correct Vietnamese name order (i.e., given name last). Sender names in emails migrated from Exchange will retain the given name before a comma, but this will decrease over time as new emails are composed. Over time, the HR database (which is the source of directory data for Vietnam staff) will continue to improve in accuracy.

Once you have found the person you’re looking for, add them to My Contacts.

Add a contact from the Directory to My Contacts
1. Click the checkbox next to the contact.
2. Click the Add to My Contacts button

Create a new contact
You can also create new contacts for people who aren’t listed in the Directory (i.e. vendors, external contractors, personal contacts).

Click Gmail at the top-left corner of your Gmail page, then choose Contacts.
Click the New Contact button in the top-left corner.
Enter your contact's information in the appropriate fields. Any information you add will save automatically.

Find a contact using auto-complete
You can easily find email addresses when composing a mail message by beginning to type the address in a Compose window’s To field. Gmail knows the addresses of all your contacts and mailing lists. It also remembers addresses of any other people who have emailed, or been emailed by you.

When you start typing an address in an email message (or meeting invitation), a list of matching addresses appears. To enter an address, just click it.

Contact picker: Choose addresses from a list
To see a list of all your contacts when composing a mail message, open the contact picker by clicking on To in a compose window. Here, you can browse all your personal or global contacts, and you can search for contacts using the auto-complete feature (start typing to see a matching list of addresses).

To open the contacts picker, click the To: link in a compose window:

Add a profile picture
Adding a photo of yourself is a great way to help other people find you as a contact, especially if you have the same name as someone else at RMIT. We recommended a close up photo of your face so other users can easily see who you are.

After you have uploaded your photo, your colleagues and students will be able to see the picture when they receive emails from you and whenever they roll the mouse cursor over your name in their inbox, Contacts or Chat list.
1. Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
2. From the My picture section, click Select a picture.
3. The Upload a picture window will appear. Upload a new photo from your computer.
4. A box will appear over your photo, selecting part of it. Drag this selected region to crop your photo, or resize the region by clicking and dragging one of the region corners.
5. Click Set as profile photo.
6. You can select whether you'd like all Gmail users to see your picture, or only those who you've allowed to chat with you, using the radio buttons next to your uploaded photo on your Settings page.
     - Visible to everyone means anyone who you email, or who emails you, can see your picture.
     - Visible only to people I can chat with includes users who have been given permission to see when you're online and to chat with you.

Once you apply your picture, you'll be able to view and change it from your Gmail settings page, and other users will see your selection when they roll over your name in conversations or in their contact lists. It will also show up as your picture in Chat.

Managing your contacts

With Google Apps, you can manage all your contacts from a Central Contact Manager. View this Google Help post for more information.