Occasional Contributor
**UPDATE: 14/05/2018**
**Some information on the originally-posted article has now been superseded. Please find the updated information below**

Some people may not be aware, but there are a number of developers that provide free access to their software or sites for education users.

You can also find some free or reduced-price access to software that is provided as part of the agreements that RMIT have with certain developers. 

For more info on these offers, please check out:

Comments
New Visitor

Fantastic collection and really useful! Thankyou!

Occasional Visitor

This is just an addition to the above post :

Github Education

Most people are not aware about this but you can get 5 private repositories in github after you signup for github education. All you need is your RMIT Email-ID. Thats not it these are the list of other offers you receive after you get access to your github education account.

* Github -  Micro account (normally $7/month) with 5 private repositories while you're a student

1) DigitalOcean - 100$ Free Cloud Hosting fully Unmanaged.

2) Stripe - Waived transaction fees on first $1000 in revenue processed.

3) Unreal Engine - Free Unreal Engine while you're a student.

4) SendGrid - Student plan 15K free emails/month (normally limited to 200 free emails/day) while you're a student

5) Namecheap - One year free hosting for .me domain and one year free SSL certificate for your domain

6) Visual Studio IDE - A suite of Microsoft developer tools including the Visual Studio IDE.

7) DNSimple - Bronze hosted DNS plan (normally $3/month) for two years for free

8) Bitnami - Business 3 plan (normally $49/month) for one year for free

and many more freebies under your Github Account. Smiley Happy  

Occasional Visitor

JetBrains IDE is also available for free to RMIT University staff and enrolled students. 

Occasional Contributor

Awesome, thanks for the tip Daniel. I've added it to the OP.

New Contributor

This is great - thanks!

Occasional Visitor

Hi,

I am a student at RMIT University currently completing the MIET2065 International Industry Experience course. It is part of the fourth year of the Engineering (Aerospace) BH078 degree, satisfying 12 credit points points and the required work experience component. I am also being paid a salary for the internship as it is in Austria where I need to cover my living costs. Am I able to download the Microsoft Office365 pack to use on my computer here at the workplace as the current office version is in German or would there be some legal issues with this. I am the only one who will have access to this computer in the workplace and I can remove it at the end of my internship.

Thanks,

Jack

Occasional Contributor

Hi JackAnnett,

As I'd stated in my message to you, I would suggest that your first step is to talk to the IT department of where you are employed to request that the language that Office is set to is changed to english.

I would be very surprised if they have an issue with this, it not uncommon for staff to request their native language to be the default on a work computer.

The Office365 student offer and all of the apps listed in this post (that are not open source) are not for use on corporate computers, only personal devices, as they are provided to you as education/student licences and not for commercial use.

Please let me emphasise that an employer would not want this installed on their computers as it puts them at risk of fines from the developers of the software.

Cheers,

Trent

Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your response Trent.

Unfortunately we are using MS Word 2010 and I've been told by the IT department that the language packs required to change the language of the interface are not available.

Thanks for such a quick response and PM, I will send you another msg through PM

Occasional Visitor

I've tried over and over but can't access microsoft office. When I try to log on it doesn't let me in, and if I try to say I lost my password it says it doesn't know me at all. What's going on???

Hi @ShonaM

While you will use your RMIT student email address when you sign up for Office 365, keep in mind you will be creating the account with Microsoft so the password may not necessarily match your RMIT one.
Much like your RMIT password, if you're having trouble logging in to the Microsoft account you should have a link to reset the password. I believe this shows as something like "Can't sign in?" or "Having troubles accessing your account?". You should be able to reset the password which should enable you to sign in and/or activate your Office 365 software.

If you haven't yet signed up, you can go to http://www.rmit.edu.au/students/it/devicesoftware and use your RMIT student email to do so. The full walkthrough can be found here:
https://community.its.rmit.edu.au/t5/IT-Knowledge-Base/Get-Microsoft-Office-365-for-free/ba-p/1769

Hope this helps you out!

Regards,
Adam