Information for staff about how to access and manage a service account.
Accessing a service account
There are 2 ways a service account owner can access the account:
1. By logging in using the username and password
- Click on your email address in the top right corner of the inbox and go to the accounts menu and select Add account.
- Enter the username and password for the service account.
- A new browser window will open displaying the service account's mailbox.
What you can do by logging in:
- Receive emails and send emails without your name appearing
- Configure the account settings or add or remove other delegates
- Access all other Google Apps logged in as the service account (Drive, Calendar, Sites, chat etc.)
2. By switching to the account as a delegate
- Click on your email address in the top right corner of the inbox and go to the accounts menu
- Select the service account from the account list firstname.lastname@example.org (delegated)
- A new browser window will open displaying the service account's mailbox
What you can do as a delegate:
- Send and receive email, create and use labels and filters, manage contacts, and many more tasks.
- When you send an email your name will show to the recipients. For example: "Sent on behalf of Fred Smith"
Can I use GASMO to access a service account?
Yes, GASMO can be used to accessed Service Accounts. However, it is advised not to use GASMO, if your service account is accessed and managed regularly by multiple people at the same time. For example, if multiple staff are using the account to read and label mail, syncing issues will occur.
How do I see who has access to this account?
You can view and manage proxy access to your service account by logging into the account, using the details previously emailed to you. Once logged into the account, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner >>click on settings>>accounts>> view the section at the bottom of the page>>grant access to my account.
How do I add or remove staff member access to this account?
You can add and remove other users to your service account by logging into the account and then following these instructions
How do I add another owner to this account?
If you would like other RMIT staff members to have ownership access to your service account, you can distribute the login ID and password to these staff. However, please be aware that once logged directly into your service account, there is no audit trail for this account - it is as if you are logged into your own RMIT staff account.
You must be a registered user to add a comment here. If you've already registered, please log in. If you haven't registered yet, please register and log in.