reem
Frequent Contributor

Global retailer H&M sources local RMIT fashion talent

An RMIT fashion alumnus has been selected to participate in H&M’s prestigious 2016 International Talent Program, known for launching global careers.

Graduate of the Associate Degree in Fashion and Textile Merchandising and Bachelor of Fashion (Merchandise Management), Angela Crowley, was thrilled to secure a place within the highly competitive program after undergoing a comprehensive three-month recruitment process.

H&M-fashion-alumnus-graduate-angelacrowley.jpg

Crowley will commence the International Talent Program in Stockholm, Sweden – the hub of emerging fashion trends – where she will spend two months learning about H&M’s operations at their head office. 

After induction, Crowley will spend 10 months on placement in a surprise location, in any one of H&M’s 61 international markets.

“All I know is that I’ll have the chance to work within areas such as merchandising, store leasing, store development and controlling,” Crowley said.

“Not knowing where I will be placed is the most exciting and challenging aspect of the program.

“It is something that trainees need to be comfortable with, and once the program is complete, we will be moved into another market somewhere in the world!” 

While on an RMIT exchange in Denmark, Crowley heard about the H&M graduate program and was intrigued by the prospect of working in an international setting with people from different cultures.

“Because my program allowed me to combine both the creative and business aspects of the fashion industry, I was equipped with a variety of skills and experiences.

“This gave me the confidence to apply for the H&M graduate program.”

Combining her passions for fashion and travel, Crowley participated in two study tours and an international exchange program that gave her the opportunity to apply her knowledge in countries such as Denmark, Vietnam, Hong Kong and China.

“RMIT provides so many global opportunities to students, and through these I’ve been lucky enough to be exposed to different manufacturing operations and work on projects with international clients.

“Overall, I believe that these unique experiences are what set me up for a global career in the fashion and retail industry,” she said.

The Bachelor of Fashion (Merchandise Management) is a unique one-year qualification that is offered to students who have completed the Associate Degree in Fashion and Textiles (or who have an equivalent qualification).

The program provides students with management, entrepreneurial and business knowledge. 

Story: Jordan Di Stefano

https://www.rmit.edu.au/news/all-news/2016/june/hm-sources-local-rmit-fashion-talent/

Susancullen
Contributor

Re: Global retailer H&M sources local RMIT fashion talent

Well Done Angela.  What a fantastic opportunity for you and recognition of your hard work.