M_Patel
New Contributor

Printing over wifi

Hi,

How do I print from my laptop (macbook in my case) while connected to RMIT wifi? It's my personal laptop, NOT RMIT configured.

Thanks.

Tags (3)

Accepted Solutions
michael_w
Frequent Contributor

Re: Printing over wifi

Hi @M_Patel

At this stage, myDesktop is the only supported method to print from your personal device. 

Note that with myDesktop, you can print a file which is on your actual laptop drive - ie. it doesn't have to be a file from your RMIT H:/ drive.

I find this works more easily when you are using the "Full version" of my desktop, rather than the "Light version".

You can find more about this here:

https://community.its.rmit.edu.au/t5/IT-Knowledge-Base/Accessing-files-on-your-personal-device-in-my...

If you take a look at this screenshot, you can see that my local hard drive (C:\) is available to explore in mydesktop. 

The drive itself is on my mac, and so I can immediately access any of the files which are on my mac, via myDesktop, without having to store them anywhere in particular, or upload them to a dropbox etc.

mydesktop.png

Michael, Community Manager
RMIT, Information Technology Services

View solution in original post

All Replies
michael_w
Frequent Contributor

Hi @M_Patel, and welcome to myCommunity!

There's a guide to printing from your personal device via myDesktop here:

https://community.its.rmit.edu.au/t5/IT-Knowledge-Base/Printing-files-with-myDesktop/ba-p/1243

It doesn't require any configuration, you can simply log in via a web-browser and go from there.

Let me know how this goes.

Tags (3)
M_Patel
New Contributor

Hi Wigeru,

Thanks for your reply. 

Is it possible without using MyDesktop? Let's say I want to print a file from my laptop drive. Could we add global printer profile to Printers & Scanners settings on our laptops?

Thanks again,

M

michael_w
Frequent Contributor

Hi @M_Patel

At this stage, myDesktop is the only supported method to print from your personal device. 

Note that with myDesktop, you can print a file which is on your actual laptop drive - ie. it doesn't have to be a file from your RMIT H:/ drive.

I find this works more easily when you are using the "Full version" of my desktop, rather than the "Light version".

You can find more about this here:

https://community.its.rmit.edu.au/t5/IT-Knowledge-Base/Accessing-files-on-your-personal-device-in-my...

If you take a look at this screenshot, you can see that my local hard drive (C:\) is available to explore in mydesktop. 

The drive itself is on my mac, and so I can immediately access any of the files which are on my mac, via myDesktop, without having to store them anywhere in particular, or upload them to a dropbox etc.

mydesktop.png

View solution in original post

M_Patel
New Contributor

Hi Wigeru, 

Thanks for your reply. It gets the job done; but, would be great if people can add the printer on their devices. 

Thanks,

Mitesh

Patrick
New Contributor

A couple of years ago there was a way to print directly from your device. It required installing Java though Robot Sad. This doesn't seem to be supported anymore, which is understandable - no network should encourage users to install Java!

It is completely possible to advertise a global/follow-me queue to network users. This is one of the things that PaperCut is great for.

Using myDesktop as an intermediary isn't really a solution. It's the equivalent of saying "just go down to office works with a USB and print there".

M_Patel
New Contributor

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your input.
Is it possible to setup a follow-me queue by staff/student? Or is this something that requires IT admin rights?

Thanks.
S3514077
New Contributor

I agree - printing direct from student device would be ideal.