BenO
New Contributor

I find the Citrix agent for MyDesktop really clunky. How long before we can use MyDesktop without the Citrix agent%3F

I use a Windows 8 machine with the latest version of Chrome. And I am amazed how poorly the Citrix Receiver works in this configuration. I did hear that a test was being run using native HTML 5 features, meaning I don't need the receiver any more. If so, when will it be released to staff and students?

Accepted Solutions
Nghi
New Contributor

Re: I find the Citrix agent for MyDesktop really clunky. How long before we can use MyDesktop without the Citrix agent%3F

Hi @BenO,

We are committed to improving the user experience of myDesktop for our staff and students and making it a valuable tool for you.  We have undertaken a pilot with our academic staff and will be running a pilot in the next few weeks with our students to garner feedback.  At this stage we are looking at a September release date.  There may be things that we need to fix based on the feedback we receive to make sure you get the best experience we can offer.  We would welcome your feedback and would invite you to participate in this next stage of our pilot.  The pilot is only available  while you are on campus connected to the RMIT campus network.

Did you also know that with this new feature you will also be able to access some of your favourite applications without launching a full Windows 7 desktop that you have been used to.  Giving you a more personalised experience.

We appreciate your patience and in the mean time we have added 28 new applications and  upgraded 10 to myDesktop this semester bringing this to a total of 234 applications.  Please visit here to see the list of applications available for you to use.

Nghi Vu

RMIT, Information technology Services

Nghi Vu
RMIT, Information Technology Services

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

All Replies
chris
New Contributor

Re: I find the Citrix agent for MyDesktop really clunky. How long before we can use MyDesktop without the Citrix agent%3F

Hi Ben.  I'm a teacher in building 94 and also keen to see the new system.  I did do a bit of a test with it last week, however I found it currently a bit "laggy".  From what I'm told, testing is in it's early stages, and hence haven't been given a date with it's implementation.  Fingers crossed, it solves some problems...

michael_w
Frequent Contributor

Hi @BenO and welcome to the community!

ITS are currently working on an update to myDesktop which actually allows you to log in directly from your browser without the need for a Citrix client - (you don't have to install anything!)

It's actually in testing now (I've used it myself!) and the current plan is to have it released in the next few months!
Michael, Community Manager
Kimflowers
Contributor

Will it allow for access to drives other than our personal ones?

Just thinking out loud here...

BenO
New Contributor

Thanks Michael. Do we have a committed date?

Nghi
New Contributor

Hi @BenO,

We are committed to improving the user experience of myDesktop for our staff and students and making it a valuable tool for you.  We have undertaken a pilot with our academic staff and will be running a pilot in the next few weeks with our students to garner feedback.  At this stage we are looking at a September release date.  There may be things that we need to fix based on the feedback we receive to make sure you get the best experience we can offer.  We would welcome your feedback and would invite you to participate in this next stage of our pilot.  The pilot is only available  while you are on campus connected to the RMIT campus network.

Did you also know that with this new feature you will also be able to access some of your favourite applications without launching a full Windows 7 desktop that you have been used to.  Giving you a more personalised experience.

We appreciate your patience and in the mean time we have added 28 new applications and  upgraded 10 to myDesktop this semester bringing this to a total of 234 applications.  Please visit here to see the list of applications available for you to use.

Nghi Vu

RMIT, Information technology Services

Nghi Vu
Tags (1)
Nghi
New Contributor

Hi @Kimflowers,

Did you have any specific drives you would like to access?

Nghi Vu

Nghi Vu
Kimflowers
Contributor

Hi @Nghi

For example:

We have an L&T folder on the shared drive which we use to store all our ongoing projects in it. But if we work off site - we are unable to access it.

Warren_Nageswar
Occasional Contributor

My drive should assist you in the interim. http://www1.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=tjda4cll2fmy 

Warren Nageswaran
Kimflowers
Contributor

404 error @Warren_Nageswar - either that, or it doesn't like me!