Laurie
New Contributor

MyDesktop

As I have just enrolled and I'm finding my way around the RMIT system, what exactly does MyDesktop allow me to do?

Where do I get help for this?

Thanks.

Zeldork
Occasional Contributor

Re: MyDesktop

MyDesktop is essentially a virtual PC that you can login to from any location that has all the software a physical RMIT pc, like the ones on campus has.

You also have access to your H drive and the files you save on your RMIT desktop, so it saves you having to move files around when you want to work from home.

YasmineK
Community Manager

Hi @Laurie

Welcome to the Community! 

You can also view our IT Knowledge Base, You can view the section on myDesktop, you may also wish to view some questions that have been asked in our myDesktop Board 

Further information can also be found on the RMIT website: 

http://www1.rmit.edu.au/students/mydesktop 

I hope this helps 

Happy Posting!!!

YasmineK,
ITS
jbh
RMIT Connect
RMIT Connect

I should add here that there are a few niche products that - thanks to licensing arrangements, I believe - aren't available on myDesktop. For example, computers in the Engineering computer laboratories do have access to a broader range of design and evaluation software than available via myDesktop.

That said, as a staff member and a student (and I am both), I am a big fan of myDesktop. The ability to access tools like the Adobe Suite and Microsoft Project from anywhere has been extremely useful for both roles, and being able to access the shared drive remotely is also great.

RMIT Comms guru, professionally lurking on myCommunity, googling cat gifs, and occasionally even answering questions and being helpful.

RMIT Connect monitors these forums at 10am and 2pm every day, but please call for urgent matters.

Shehan
Occasional Contributor

myDesktop is great!!! Make sure you use it on your phone too just in case you need to do last minute printing of an important document! Smiley Wink